Interesting Facts about the English Language
English is a fascinating language to learn.
There are a lot of interesting facts about English that may amaze you. Read more to find out!
- If You Turn the Word “SWIM” upside down, it still says SWIM!
- ‘Nice’ originally meant ‘ignorant’ or ‘simple’.
- Earth is the only planet in our solar system that’s not named after a god.
- “I” is the oldest word in the English language.
- The longest word in English has 45 letters: ‘pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis’! It is a type of lung disease caused by inhaling ash and sand dust.
- ‘Pronunciation’ is the word which is most mispronounced in the English language!
- The oldest words in English are thousands of years old. They include personal pronouns and numbers: I, We, Two, and Three.
- Do you know the word ‘alphabet’ comes from the first two letters in the Greek alphabet – alpha and beta?
- Do you know a fun fact about the word ‘listen’? It contains the same letters as the word ‘silent’!