Memorable Moms in English Literature
In honor of Mother’s Day in the USA, we put together a list of recommended reading featuring memorable moms for our students. Not only are these books works of genius but they tell the stories of some of the most fascinating heroines in English literature who were also moms.
Here are 10 of our favorite fictional (most American) Memorable Moms, who were influential for all the right reasons:
- Harry Potter Series by J K Rowling : Mrs Weasley
- The Berenstain Bears by Stan and Jan Berenstain: Momma Berenstain
- Little Women by Louisa May Alcott: Marmee
- Little House on the Prairie books by Laura Ingalls Wilder: Ma
- A Girl of the Limberlost by Gene Stratton Porter: Elnora’s mother, Katharine
- Sophie’s Choice by William Styron: Sophie Zawistowska, the mother who was given no choice in choosing which of her children would live and die., the Mom who was a former slave
- The Joy Luck Club by Amy Tan: the four Chinese Moms
- Love You Forever by Robert Munsch: a children’s book about a very special Mom. At the time that this book was published it stole the hearts of every reader who bought it. It continues to sell thousands every year.
- Beloved by Toni Morrison : Seth.
- A Tree Grows in Brooklyn by Betty Smith: Katie Nolan
In our research we discovered that there are many (maybe even more) fictional female characters who are famous for not so nice reasons. For more about wicked memorable moms in contemporary literature http://flavorwire.com/111067/contemporary-literatures-most-memorable-moms/7
Luckily, there are also lots of fictional memorable moms such as these listed that stand out for many noble traits such as their grit, their devotion and the huge positive influence they have on the lives of others.
Happy Reading! Happy Mother’s Day!