10 Items to Pack for College
Going off to college is an exciting time for any TALK International student, and the first thing you will have to turn your attention to is …what to pack! It’s very easy to pack the wrong things and leave out the very important items which the study-abroad traveler needs. Here is a college checklist for items to pack for college that are important for your study period.
- Laptop Computer/Printer: When you have an assignment that is due the next day, you will need access to a laptop computer and printer to prepare, write and print out your paper. Internet cafes or computer labs are not really conducive to studying at your own pace and in your own time, which could be the very early mornings when these places will be closed anyway.
- Comforting and Familiar Personal Possessions: On those days when you are missing home, it is good to have familiar possessions which remind you of home, people at home, or members of your family. Such items include things like photos, stuffed animals, even your favorite pillow.
- Music: Music is a great way of relaxing, and when packing for college, make sure your favorite music is downloaded. This way you can listen to it at any time while relaxing or when missing things about home.
- Mini Fridge: A mini fridge is a great item to have to help keep any leftovers fresh, or to keep your drinks cold. They can come in handy when the cafeteria is shut.
- Jeans: Although dressing smartly is an ideal choice in college, so is wearing jeans from time to time. Jeans and a T-shirt is normal attire for most college students.
- A debit card or checking account: When living or studying at college it is a good idea to avoid keeping cash on premises. Cash can be easily used and stolen, where cards will require a pin number to access.
- Cell Phone: Your cell phone is your most vital asset for communication and safety. Remember to pack your charger and understand your contract payment plan before using it.
- External Hard-Drive/USB Stick: When studying and typing your work on the computer you may need additional storage. Always have an additional storage means with you at all times.
- Earplugs/Sleep Mask: For the nights where your roommate may be up late partying or studying, it is important to have a sleep mask and earplugs with you to get you through the night. This way you are refreshed the next morning.
- College Documents: If you have any admission papers, documents, or other formal papers that are needed when you arrive at your college, it is best to place them in a secure place to ensure they won’t get lost which could make for your first day of arrival being an unpleasant instead of exciting one!