American Food Trends That Will Astound You
Over the past few years Americans have shifted their priorities when it comes where they eat, when they eat, and what they eat. With the increase of American food trends, a change of American eating habits have also been seen by many people. Here is some insight into American food trends and American eating habits that may interest you.
American Food Trend Facts For Food Fanatics
- In one day, American’s generally drink and eat up to 14 different types of beverages and foods. This ranges from vegetables, fruits, sandwiches, carbonated soft drinks, coffee, milk, salty snacks, potatoes, and ready to eat cereal.
- America is home to some of the largest restaurant chains. The lowest to highest grossing restaurants include Chik-fil-A, KFC, Pizza Hut, Dunkin’ Donuts, Taco Bell, Burger King, Wendy’s, Starbucks, Subway, and McDonalds.
- 24% of Boomers and 45% of Millennials have now adopted a special type of diet. These may include vegetarian, vegan, gluten free etc. A 1/3 of Millennials eat global cuisine while 56% want something more healthier for a snack.
- Millennials are said to be round-the-clock eaters. 12% of their eating is breakfast, morning snacks are 16%, lunch is 15%, afternoon snacks are 17%, 18% is dinner, and evening snacks are 20 percent.
- 1 in 5 people tend to eat 1 snack per day. 41% eat two snacks, 24% eat three snacks, 13% eat four snacks, and 4% have five snacks or more.
- A majority of people like savoury flavors which include tangy, smoky, and spicy flavors. Bitter and sour flavors are also gaining more interest from consumers.
- 40% of specialty food is now bought through online websites.
- 1/3 of all adults are devoted eaters of breakfast and will never pass it up.
- In 2013 half of adults purchased food that is prepared from convenience stores. Hot dogs were the highest sellers with deli sandwiches, pizza, and breakfast sandwiches being most popular.
- More than half of American adults prefer to buy specialty cheese, oils, and chocolate.