5 Study Tips for ESL Students.
For English language study abroad students, understanding what is being said to them in a new country is the first and biggest challenge. Our study tips will help the ESL student make the best of his or her learning experience. Try these 5 simple study tips !
Simple Study Tips
- Be an active listener. Listen to what the teacher is saying with intent and concentration. Do not chat to your fellow students. Put the cell phone away because it will distract you.
- If you do not know what is being talked about, do not be afraid to ask your teacher for clarification. Your question on a meaning or topic might start a valuable discussion from which everyone benefits. And the teacher is made aware of the specific nature of the students’ challenges.
- Read any textbooks relating to the class beforehand, and then have the book open on that page during class. Become familiar with the lesson.
- Make notes – even drawings if it helps your recall of what the teacher says. Especially when learning foreign languages, visual cues can be very helpful.
- Read the class notes after the lecture.
There are a couple of study tips that are completely essential although they refer to time OUTSIDE the classroom! Take small breaks throughout the day. Watch your nutrition – junk food sure ain’t brain food. And get a proper night’s sleep. Insufficient sleep can put paid to any active study tips you might have had.