Fun Facts About Summer You Didn’t Know Until Now
Summer is a great time to get out and have some fun in the sun. In the USA many people head to the beach or go traveling with friends or family members. Summer is generally seen between the months of June, July and August. For those who want to know more about summer in the USA, here are some fun summer facts that will get you started.
USA Summer Facts
- The reference “the dog days of summer” is named after the Dog Star in the constellation Canis Major which comes out between July 3 and August 11. Back in the day ancient Greeks blamed Sirius for the drought discomfort, extremely hot weather, and any sicknesses that occurred during these hot summer months.
- In the USA summer is the busiest time for movie theatres. Generally blockbusters are released in the summer months. Over the years to highest rating summer blockbuster releases include Jaws, Star Wars, Jurassic Park, The Dark Knight, and Raiders Of The Lost Ark.
- Over 650 million long distance trips are made in the USA during the summer months.
- The 5 top summer vacation spots in the USA include: ocean/beach, a famous city, national parks, lakes, and resorts.
- The top summer activities that Americans like to do during the hotter months include shopping, visiting historical sites, water sports/swimming, national parks, and sightseeing tours.
- During the summer months according to an old USA custom, a person can wear white pants between Memorial Day and Labor Day.
- One of the most popular treats during summer in the USA is the Watermelon. Watermen’s consist of 92% water and American’s on average consume around 15 pound of watermelon annually.
- During summer, Americans eat on average 20 quarts of ice cream per year. Vanilla is the top choice with chocolate coming in second.
- In the USA the top hazardous injuries that are caused in summer are due to: Playground equipment, trampolines, skateboards, amusement attractions, lawn mowers, camping equipment, barbeque grills, non-powder guns, and small garden tools.